Email Design Basics for Mobile
Are you reading this on your phone? That’s not surprising – according to a recent Litmus study, 51% of emails are opened on a mobile device.
There’s a huge debate out there over Responsive vs. Adaptive vs. Fluid design, and which approach best meets the need for the myriad devices in today’s marketplace. You can learn more about the issue here.
In the meantime, there are several things you can do to your email designs right this minute before you spend time and money bringing in someone to code new templates for you.
1) Go skinny – slim down to 550px or less to accommodate most devices and reduce scrolling.
2) Use larger fonts – different email management systems render fonts differently, so test and see what size is easiest to read on the smallest screens. Optimize design for that.
3) Shorten the “from” name – 32 characters or less.
4) Shorten your subject lines – 44 characters or less.
5) Reduce image size – use smaller files for faster loading.
6) Make your call-to-action easy to touch – this means bigger buttons or photo CTAs, not tiny links.
Need help? Contact PS Digital today for a free consultation. We’d love to hear about your email issues and how we might help.