Melding Digital & Direct Mail with the USPS Mobile Shopping Promotion!
This summer, the USPS will again offer their Mobile Shopping promotion in an effort to encourage everyone to continue to invest in technologies to bridge the gap between their digital programs and their direct mail.
Read below about how Production Solutions can help you qualify for the promotion!
How does the promotion work?
Include in your mailing mobile technology that can be “read, scanned or activated by a mobile device” that will take them to a mobile optimized landing page for shopping or donations. The page must allow customers/donors to “purchase” from the website. For commercial mailers, the customer needs to be able to purchase a tangible item that will be mailed/shipped. For non-profits, the donor must be able to donate directly from the landing page only.
This promotion applies only to Marketing and Non-Profit letters and flats. First class, periodicals, Bound printed matter and medial mail are all exempt from the promo.
What qualifies as Mobile Technology?
The most commonly used mobile technology in mail, QR codes, are square barcodes that can be read by mobile phone cameras and can lead to targeted websites – in this case a donation or shopping page. For the promotion, the code must lead to a donation page. These can be included on the envelope or inside of the package.
Other technologies may include: Datamatrix Code, MS Tags or Snap Tags, Digital watermarks, Voice Assistant or Augmented Reality/Shopping video.
What else do I need to know?
- Registration starts on June 15th and runs until December 31st.
- The promotion period begins on August 1st and runs until December 31st.
- If you are using QR code/barcode, the print must be at least ¾” x ¾”.
- The code can not be placed on an order form, address label, reply envelope or reply card.
- The print around the code must include direction copy telling the donor what to do with the code. The print must be at least 11pts or the same size as the primary marketing message.
- The landing page must be mobile optimized and allow for the donor/customer to bypass any pop-ups.
- Finally, non-profits must mail the recipient a mail piece through the USPS once the purchase/donation is made. This can include a thank you, certificate or voucher. However, an invoice, billing statement or receipt is not allowed.
Be sure to reach out to your PS contact if you have any questions – we can surely help you qualify for the promotion!